About Me

My photo
Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada
I am 36 years old and have dreamed of having a motorcycle since I had my first ride on one when I was 16. This will be my third season riding. First full season with my dream ride "Freya" 1998 Honda Valkyrie. Looking forward to many memorable rides this season including a Meet in the Middle in Cheyenne Wyomming with the Women Who ride, raising money for Breast Cancer along the way.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Time to catch up

Since posting last I have cleaned the battery box, the pictures aren't very dramatic but I removed the rust and its almost ready to be painted. I will be getting a new rectifier so that wasn't cleaned ( the gray item on the side of the box ) It also needs a small weld repair on the opening for the battery to slide in you can see in the before picture it was being held together with zap straps.
AFTER
BEFORE





I also attempted to clean the chain guard, it will need to be re-chromed as the reverse side is pitted with rust and there are some serious scratches on the front.



I finally put my speedometer/tachometer back together with my new faces

BEFORE
AFTER














The only thing that I am a little concerned about is being able to read them at night, I'm not sure if the light will shine through enough. You can't really tell in the picture but the numbers are purple. It has Purple Goddess writin on the speedometer gauge and Vgirl on the tachometer. I had to paint the indicator red because I wouldn't have been able to see the old yucky white one against the clean bright white faces.
I will never be able to sell this bike, not that I would ever want to even when I get my Valkyrie this will be a nice bike to have just to ride around town.




Yesterday I received the rebuild kit for my carbs so I decided it was time to work on them.


I removed all the hoses and attempted to remove the caps to start disassembling them but I could only get two caps off. In order to get the other two caps off I will need to borrow a friends impact driver. But while I had the two caps off I decided to try a technique that I saw on Xtreme 4X4 - they used WD-40 and sandpaper to remove oxidation and then polish with Mothers polish. It worked really well it's a little hard on the fingers but it's worth it if I don't have to pay to get them powder coated which was my original intention. You can see in the picture that the two in the middle are the ones I have polished you can't see in the picture but you can see your reflection in them.

No comments: